Friday, April 8, 2011

Jury Duty

Yesterday at about 10pm I realized that I had to serve jury duty this morning. I had no idea what to expect and was a little nervous. Yes people, I even read the pamphlet sent to me in the mail. With my luck, I was sure I'd be asked to participate in a month long murder trial.
Anyway, today I woke up early and drove to the Bridgeport Courthouse. Sure enough, I was in the first pool of selected jurors to serve in a four day to week long trial concerning insurance. About fifteen of us were led into a small room where we waited to enter the courtroom. After being sworn in, we were all briefed about the case. We were told to listen carefully to the names being mentioned and at the end raise our hands if we knew anyone involved. The second round of questioning was to find out if anyone had conflicting schedules and/or urgent reasons why they could not serve on the jury. Obviously, I raised my hand. As cool as it would have been, serving in a four day trial with school and an internship to worry about would not be a good idea. After this we were all led back into the waiting room. All of those who knew people involved in the case and were not able to serve were called one by one into the courtroom for further questioning. When my name was called I had to walk into the courtroom, sit on the witness stand, and tell them why I could not be a member of the jury. After a few seconds, I was excused! Woo hoo! It was easy and  painless. I was nervous for nothing! Actually, I don't think it would be half bad serving as a juror. In fact, it would be really cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment