Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Intern

Being an intern is not always a glamorous job. As many of you know, it can require one to perform mindless tasks that seem trivial but must be done! Today, in the middle of working on a project, one of my supervisors ran over to me half an hour before the end of my work day and asked me to pick up some birthday goodies for a coworker at the Whole Foods "down the street". Specifically, she asked for a single cupcake and a box of cookies. Of course, I agreed. However, I was a little nervous about what "down the street" meant. Those who know me know that my sense of direction is well, not always on point. Also, I had to leave by 5pm sharp to catch the train back to Fairfield for my 7pm class. Needless to say, I had a little trouble finding the place. After asking a few people, I found it. It was tucked away at the bottom of a mall about a block away. Although I would have loved to browse the isles looking for treats and delicious samples, I headed straight for the bakery section. Before me were a large selection of cupcakes, cakes, pastries and cookies in every flavor imaginable. I began to feel a little overwhelmed. Should I get chocolate chip cookies or snicker-doodles? Pink frosting or vanilla frosting on the cupcake? Another one of my weaknesses is making quick decisions. I'll literally go back and forth in my head a thousands times, weigh the pros and cons and then, maybe, hopefully come up with a decision. In this case, I had to think fast. I decided on the chocolate chip cookies and a chocolate cupcake with pink frosting. My reasoning: Who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies? They're simple but delicious. The chocolate cupcake seemed like the safest choice and I thought the pink frosting was a nice touch. I made it back with about ten minutes to spare, created a nice little plate (pictured above) and made the 5:26pm train. Everyone was happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment